Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Wednesday 23 November 2016

Violet Town (111 of 365)

Day 111 of the 365 day poem challenge.

Word of the day calumny meaning "a false accusation of an offence."

Violet Town

Through the reeds and 
Beyond ploughs
Through fields of shorn cane
Where wind tickles daisies, sunflowers and rhododendrons 

I met my first love in Violet Town
I recall the vivid colours 
Of the basket she carried
With strawberries to the quaint 
Market by the creek that was blue
In all the yellow and brown
Spring had become her 

The scent of pollen buzzed
In my heart and tall tractors
Wove perfumes of grass and grease and grasshoppers chirped

There was the yowl of a grouchy elder of the town she was miserly and sallow and short as a barrow

There was also a balding grocer by the name of Kent he had wares that he sold and lent 

There was a collective yawn 
On the wooden stoops of the town
There was a collective curiosity as cars drove down the cracked solitary road and drove on and away drawing exhaust over the flowering fields of violet gerberas and posies
It's wheels spinning on into the horizon

It is knotted in my memory and heart like frayed twine 
I recall days of pleasant nothing 
The name continues to emote something, which claws at my innards and causes me pause and regret

I still recall the tears on her solemn cheeks 
From the calumny I spat upon her and that town 
Whose character I could not comprehend

Even so...

Time's wheels are not kind to Violet town
Time's wheels have spun me on
Time's wheels have turned its back on this place 

The world's colours are neon 
The world's colours are ill-suited for flowers 
The world is ill suited for girls bearing strawberries and hand thatched baskets
I fear the world is not one for Violet Town
I fear only my nostalgia is at home in this place 
It invents and imposes itself upon the cracks and groaning sorrow
Of untold droughts and neglect
Of the forgotten craft of smallness and neatness and earnestness 
It is lost and hollow
The faces are new but are old
The land is haggard and dying
The wooden boards once lacquered and watered are now dry like the bones of a drying fly beaten carcass.

No comments:

Post a Comment