Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Wednesday 16 November 2016

Survivor (106 of 365)

Day 106 of the 365 day poem challenge.

A topic I often encounter and dwell on. I want to introduce a word, a familiar word, to everyone's vocabulary. If you know anyone experiencing family violence or domestic violence, they are a survivor not a victim. 

It's easy to forget how much strength and courage it takes to survive constant denigration puts down physical and mental. These people who survive they somehow rise above all of that. Hence the title of today's poem.

Word of the day extant meaning: "still in existence; not extinct or destroyed or lost."

Survivor

I want to drown 
Crushed by the hopeless
Resolve of the hopeful

There is a pincering
Syringe that burns hot ice
Inside of me 
The burning is peace beside
The sound of my scalp smashing
Against the tiles
But no one hears 
I might as well be drowning

There is a dark pleasure in
Feeling my useless flailing arms 
Beat against steel cruelty
And the iron lungs of grotesque
Laughter shrieking doom and death
I can't wait for death 
I pray for it 
I might as well drown
Deep in the wide vast needle sea
And feel the blood and the sting of infection and the pounding in my head and my blood 

I am become a wailing banshee
My animal howls 
Have disfigured me I am choking on ugliness and misconception
And the contempt of the outside 
But the inside is so cold and alone and I might as well drown
No noise can enter hear
No plea can leave here
No light can enter my darkness 

I want to drown 
Crushed within my own 
Darkest turmoil 

I want to drown 
And take the world burning down
With me 

There is so much power 
In my lovely bones 
There is so much only I know
I have the knowledge 
Of doomsday 
I am a witness of life and death 
I am extant 

I am sinking down
And it feels like falling with style 
The cold water of anxiety burns like acid should 
But I am numb and
I might as well drown.

No comments:

Post a Comment