Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Monday 7 November 2016

Treasure (97 of 365)

Day 97 of the 365 day poem challenge.

Word of the day atrophy: "a decrease in size of an organ caused by disease or disuse."

Treasure

One day my dearest treasure was stolen from me
I was lost in tears 
The world was tasteless and foreign
Laughter was a hideous parasite
Without my treasure

I roamed outside of my comfort
Hoping solace would find me there
But instead snakes buried themselves black and tearing in my intestines 
It was like nerves I'd forgotten 
It was like being young again
That terrible Unknown
That fatal doom to be lost
My tears sounded as though
They came from a child 
I lost more than my treasure 

I wandered and none could suffer
My loathing and my mindless loafing 
I wandered aimless without my treasure and without a rail to grip
Without a support 
I prattled on in circles of friends who demonstrated no interest
I divulged my woes next to acquaintances who avoided my like an illness
I bothered strangers with my tale
And they spat on me 
Then I did not speak
I fell silent and remained so
Until the trees whispers were screams beside my silent and
my tongue atrophied 
They, former friends, waylaid acquaintances and scowling strangers, did not know nor care
That my treasure was lost 

I stopped and froze
In the ice of my own heart
I froze and suffered five deaths
The first was my flesh as it slipped away from me becoming gelatinous and rotund 
The second was watching my nerve being wrenched from me
The third was to see my loneliness sucking on my marrow like a parasite 
The fourth was finding myself divested of all mortal caring 
The fifth was losing a fire that kept me from mutating into a frozen statue to grow stiff and return to my treasure.

I tried to make the last journey 
I stood at the threshold of it 
With only the ugly matter at hand
I tried but then I knew
My treasure was gone
And even then in nothing
It would not be returned to me
So I turned and walked headlong into my despairs and ugliness
I saw it all the way into the horizon
The walk was gruelling, is gruelling
Nonetheless I continue

I dream that my treasure will return
I dream and drown in hope
But I know one truth only 
My treasure is gone and she shall never return to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment