Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Wednesday 9 November 2016

That Day (99 of 365)

Day 99 of the 365 day poem challenge.

I can't help it. In so many ways the US election has nothing to do with me in Australia. It's what the soon to be confirmed presidency of Donald Trump means symbolically to me that boils my blood. Still there's probably reasons other than immigration people are voting for him,  for example his economic policies are obviously more attractive for big business. 

But I digress, let's just say it seems to me that there is a painful message that is being reinforced over and again in recent history. That is just how selfish most people are and I'm not leaving myself out of that. Anyway that's enough from me. 

For those of you who have been following my efforts thank you. I appreciate this challenge I've been doing for almost 100 days now, is for me alone. So any page view, I am so appreciative of. Thank you for your time and attention. 

Word of the day partisanship meaning: "prejudice in favour of a particular cause; bias."

Do You remember 

Do you remember the day
When they kicked them down
When they spat in their faces
When blood ran in the streets

Do you remember that day when
Silent moans rose in mouths
Where divergent views turned
Into a hellish storm
Where misinformation reigned supreme
Where the word hatred had been
Given new flesh and colours and faces
Where sportsmanship was dead
Where good and evil were never clearer 
Where anger broke down civilisation
Where partisanship at all costs was worth more than compassion 

Do you remember the day
Nothing changed
Our catatonia was pointed out 
To us 
Our selfish apathy was exposed

Do you remember the day
When you stopped believing 
That you could effect any positive change
Do you remember the hopeless tremor of the persecuted 
Did you care 
Or did the white noise drown it all

Do you remember feeling afraid
Do you remember feeling alone 

Do you remember that insignificant day

Do you remember the day when you
Recognised the essential selfishness of human nature and greed

Do you remember the day
Where there was no happy ending
But a crowd cheering alone for themselves
A crowd of strangers 
A crowd of robots 
An ugly fleshy thing jeering and cajoling and shouting: "We are best, we have won"

Do you remember the day
When it rained and you stood
And felt the water hot and sharp
Where you could not move
As the droplets rolled down
Cold and icy over your palms
And you spread them and you
Felt like you were bleeding
And you wanted to bleed
You wanted the sky to tear apart
You wanted it all to crash down
But instead the droplets splashed down harmless and never ending...

I do not want to remember.



No comments:

Post a Comment