Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Saturday 22 October 2016

When I was a boy (82 of 365)

Day 82 of the 365 day poem challenge.

Word of the day ostentatious meaning: "characterized by pretentious or showy display; designed to impress."

When I was a boy

When I was a boy
I saw chanting and yelling girls
Their movements were strange
Their movements drew my eyes
Their movements caused me to gasp and groan and demand to run away
When I was a boy

When I was a boy
I saw the freckles, dimples, the beauty marks, eye lashes, wrinkles of their smiles
Their faces were the same as mine
Their faces were shaped not so different
Their faces somehow froze me
Their faces caused me to pause and stare and daydream and conceive ideas and stories and romances and my life unfolding
When I was a boy

When I was a boy
I knew songs and melodies
I knew how to dance and shake
Yet when I saw them
The girls who had always been mundane the same
The melody left me
The song left me
My lips were parched 
My throat was caught between youth and adolescence 
My movements were exaggerated, ostentatious and flawed 
My words became false 
My truth became less clear 
My path began to tremble as I did
When I was a boy 

No comments:

Post a Comment