Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Monday 10 October 2016

Journeys (71 of 365)

Day 71 of the 365 day poem challenge.

Word of the day jaunt meaning: "
"a short excursion or journey made for pleasure."

Journeys

While jaunting a familiar cove in my youth 
The men with the villain teeth
And villainous intent 
Came and stole something precious 

It required a journey 
It requires retribution 
There was rape and plunder
It was heedless and forests of
One type or another burnt

However I retreated for a time
To feel cool lichen and moss 
Around my feet 
It tickled in cold places
And the cave into which I was led
Taught and shaped me
I found glow worms dangling 
Idle and in them the haunting memory that had forced my hand
On this voyage

I returned from this cave and my love was the sea
It's often violent unpredictable nature 
And my love was by the sea
And they engulfed me and I hungered and basked in sunshine
And on gentle nourishing shores
And I started to forget the purpose
Of journeys and of good and evil
I forgot all about villains in that
Warm embrace and the sense
Of comfort in two beings drawn so close

It seemed my journey was ended
And fancies of youth of rebellion
Of courage and of crossing 
Tall mountains and riding Rapids
It was behind me

I settled down but the nourishing 
Sand turned dry and it was scarring
On my scaly skin and I grew internal sores though I could not see them
A child ran among my legs and the face of my love grew long and
Age did not become my loves countenance 
Another child follows and a predictable path is sewn
Surprise and wonder became metaphors for the trail set before us
Wrinkled and lost 

The world was a desert that turned cold at night 
There was little hope
But the end of the line was approaching
And so that became the goal 
To shuttle up into tortoise shells
To feed and reproach risk 
To forsake the journeys and seas
To avoid any sharks 
There were no villains save those
In my senile mind and between the senile folds of my senile skin 

I recalled the many choices
That led me here so blind
To all else 
I considered the villain and the allure
To hunt and suppose oneself superior to another
To assert ones morals upon another
To be cruel 
To be harsh 
To be apathetic 

I lay then and awaited the final
Coaxing shut of my eyes
My journey would soon be ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment