Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Thursday 15 December 2011

Otherwhere

After going to a poetry club the other night I got to witness what I honestly heard to be really amazing rap artists.

I realized that alot of these poets and the way they flowed sounded so much like rap to me and in all honesty it probably had a lot to do with the culture of the people there.

It gots thinking though particularly about sounds and how poetry can be read. I'd like to think this poem embodies some of that rapping and aggressive sort of voice to it. As you are reading it imagine you are hearing someone maybe Afro American or whatever but up on stage slamming it out.

The concept behind the poem is basically an inability to connect a theme I suppose of many of my poems but in a way particularly relevant as I post from a foreign land. Anyway I hope you all enjoy Otherwhere.

OTHERWHERE

Dizzy white wash
Play-ground for my senses
Playing me around
Turning inside what notions
Of reality I assumed id found

People make liars
It's in the blood
Its always been there wetting the dirt under their thick shoes
Somehow the dirt is red
It's desert earth and it's hot and
It's alive

I'm not sure when things
Changed or stopped happening
In my sphere of the universe
Realities living beside each other
Glasshouses stretching along horizons
And lights can't break their opaque cages
So now as I stare out i see light
But like a cloud dispersing and unsubstantial, incomplete
Haze is how I perceive
the only way I could

There's something wrong here
Something that haunts picks
And nags at me in a deep place
The sort of depth that conjures absence and drowns in its dark light a glow black and chilling

I long ago forsook the idea of nothing
Now more than ever I am convinced
That within the deep
There is in the end simply an other where

A place that cannot exist a place
Where thoughts commingle mix
And gather into a viscous soup
writhing liquid like arms broken and shattered in the darkening layers.

1 comment:

  1. I like the vibe you've created. And I love the line about glasshouses. Can't wait to see what you come up with next :)

    ReplyDelete