Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Tuesday 13 December 2011

Harlem Guy

This is just a short poem I wrote based on an incident I saw while I was walking through Harlem the other day. I wanted to write something about what I'm noticing as a very clear racial spatial inequality in New York. It sounded clieche back in Australia but now I'm here I see it with my own eyes the history of racial inequality is alive and well the white walk the wealthy streets and the poorer neighborhoods I've gone through are predominantly black. Overlook that at your peril I say in any case here is Harlem Guy.


Harlem Guy

Gary walked
Down the street
Wearing only his puff jacket
And the wrinkles of a smile from his
Marriage and the whore
Who threw him up dry on the street

1 comment:

  1. Awesome portrait! The under-statedness and the unexpected intensity of the last 2 lines packs a punch. Keep at it J!

    ReplyDelete