Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Friday 1 April 2011

Fable


This is my fable
Of places in dreams and
Places familiar, yet far

The farthest place is
Near the sea, where old memories
Burn as bright as the present

At the end of the world
where I must go.

Across the dimensions.
As if in a dream
I’ll arrive on the shores where
All sounds are echoes and
All life dead.

There are no lights, no dreams
Only the ruins of society swept over
with sand

where the houses and water meet.
There is a cliff above foaming waves
A house rests above it forever
Staring down into the eternal whitewash

Here she is waiting
The only object that is
She waits in her proud house

Until the rock itself finally crumbles
And the proud house is swallowed
Forever in the blue

Truth is I'm still not a hundred percent about this one. I originally wanted to write a story about a guy who gets up at his desk at work and the world has somehow died around him and he is for all he knows the only survivor. He stares out from the skyscraper he's sitting in and the world is empty. Everything is lost.

It's an image that really appealed to me and I realised that as a story it was problematic, after all it was the image and the sensation I needed to capture of the girl's home on the sea and the sense of this quest. So I realised a poem was probably the best way. 
The idea appealed to me on a very deep level. Even now I can feel something like a broken heart thinking of that dream landscape of the end of all things (as Frodo puts it to Sam). I couldn't help pondering what I would think in that situation, what would I feel.

Then it hit me. In that situation you realise immediatly what it is you want and you realise you only have one last chance to have it. It reminds me a lot of that same dread and yet hope of reuniting with someone on the deathbed, a very romantic notion I can't seem to part with (yet). Whenever I wonder who I would want to see right before the end, who would be in my thoughts it is always someone I have  fallen in love with in the past, for you it may be completely different, but for me the girl in the proud house is a shadowy yet well defined figure.

I hope you enjoyed Fable.As always feel free to share your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment