Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Saturday 2 April 2011

Awake with the Dreamer

Now this is another poem in a similiar vein to Untitled. Have you ever tried exploring as you write? That's what I tried to do with Awake with the Dreamer, just let it all flow out. To me that is something that Walt Whitman did so well and by no means is this in the same ball park, but that man wrote some amazing poems that go on and on. Each section hardly connected to the last, apart from the fact that he is slowly leading us into this half dreamed world of America. I highly recommend it.

This poem's world is a little more restricted to dreams. Its a whole lot of self exploration really. In any case, similar to Untitled, it's another attempt to write a poem that is aware of itself. Hope you enjoy it, it is long, but I thing far easier to read than untitled.


I like the idea of the dream of a unified field
I dreamed of a deep blue sea
There was someone floating on its length
Someone I recognised and I felt this
Drop of the heart not a fall
But the force of an anchor seemingly
Wrenching my whole body downwards
I would have cried but it was a dream
And with that thought came relief
But the reason of my heart was the distance
And the tides and in this horrible
Conundrum did I realise the figure and I
In this landscape were merely destined to drift farther
And farther from one another drifting forever on the
Tide and so I woke
I despair of dreams but I have a great joy
In waking and recalling it all as a distant memory
Or perhaps someone else’s
Is it a flash of imagination or an energy floating within
The primordial sphere of night where
Our thoughts circle and combine with others
In a soup floating over our heads
Let us dream of this
For soup is a fitting word for thoughts
Gluggy at times and rich with flavour as it
Hits the lips sometimes spicey and hard to bear
Others very transparent
Yes I have dreamed so many transparencies walking
Through the dream lands
Chaos is a word that calls to mind the imagination
Amongst trees roots branches there is a certain chaos
All these limbs threatening one another all struggling
To survive the chaos of a dream is different
It is entirely unplanned
So that there is a chaos of nature
And a chaos of some other loftier design
I Believe many indulge in reading
In such comfort although for others bed’s are fraught
With peril as for me I understand this best
For I shall always dream
I have thought to share a parting gift
Do not possess dreams in the night
For you shall never conceive the frightful apparitions that
Tie themselves together and they do not lie in a soup
Unhidden and unbidden
This is perhaps the wildest philosophy
Oh no the truth is far more horrific
They are ourselves our deepest reflection
The dreaming will continue and this strange passage
Into the mystery of ourselves will indulge its
Own pursuit ironically free of our will
The sweet truth may blind you to a point
But what strange ghosts haunt you
What stirs your head at night
What is it waiting buried deep
That one day shall at last reveal itself
And as the layers are pealed away and as you come to the heart
Of the poisoned fruit what shall you find
So purely frightening
So arresting to your senses you shall imagine
That you are once again in a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment