Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Friday 18 May 2012

Jabberwocky by Lewis Carrollfrom Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

Good morning all,

You know the funny thing...I've never really read this poem ever. People tell me I should read Alice in Wonderland.

The thing I wasn't expecting I'd enjoy so much about this poem was how it sounds. I love the ridiculous line "calloo callay!"

It was actually you one of my noble readers who got me to take a look. And you were quite right I think the thing to take from this is the sound and flow of the words...although I like the idea of a jabber wonky although I suppose reading this poem I'm my much closer to knowing what one is.

But anyone reading this try reading this aloud. I think you'll really enjoy the sing-song quality of the Jabberwocky. As for whether I'll read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass well the jury is still out on that one.

THE JABBERWOCKY

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

No comments:

Post a Comment