Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Tuesday 11 December 2012

I Missed the Train

I missed the train
It passed by and
continued On its way

It was a sky blue day
Unremarkable save only
For the missing of that train

I cannot say why
That was the most remarkable
Thing that has come to pass
Only that I felt myself sinking fast
As it took off
Ahead of me and over the tracks
Propelled by wires and electricity

Had I mistook the time?
The mind wanders so
Randomly and so mine too
Wanders back to the incident
With the train

How long now is it
Since I saw it pass
It may have been yesterday or
Even a year ago
Because very little has changed
The city and the trains
The people most look the same
At least to my eyes

what more is there to say of
That train
That it was only missed by me
That there were other souls staring back at me through the thick windows
Neither glad nor sad
Just tired and ready to sag
Down into a leather seat for
Minutes perhaps an hour or two
Some to see family
some to see few

The platform is the least changed thing
The ground is the same
The same broken rock and faint yellow strips
The same sad kiosk selling
Old pies
The buildings are chipped
That makes them antique

The only object that day unique
that day as far as I could tell was I
I who missed the train
And why was that?
Now I cannot say
There are many reasons but
Most likely the dullest is true

Which is why I ought keep
The missed train to myself
And yet it must be said
That on that day
In a summer not so dissimilar to
The one in which we now live

A man missed his train
He stood for a moment or so
And then walked away

No comments:

Post a Comment