Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Vulnerability

Hey all,

I watched something last night and it isn't really the content so much I want to discuss, but the fact it touched me and it got me thinking. It came from an unusual source, I've been watching an internet v-logger, called the Nostalgia Chick, if you want to check it out and I recommend it. Highly. Just google Nostalgia Chick.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was this girl about half way through a typical sort of review she does, started pouring her heart out. There was no censorship and she wasn't trying to mask it with humour or anything. It was completely raw. To me that is what vulnerability is.

It got me thinking though, how afraid people are of vulnerability. I think we're all terrified to examine our darker feelings and our sadness. The tradition of Western society (or the one I know) is to keep these feeling inside. Now this isn't anything to do with having a positive outlook, no what I'm talking about is complete and unadulterated honesty. I don't know this girl...at all, and yet in that moment I felt touched. She was courageous enough to be vulnerable. I realised what that means and its trust. You can't be vulnerable without trust and ironically, although it is looked upon as weakness to respond emotionally to situations, perhaps it is simply more natural.

I encourage anyone reading this to let themselves be vulnerable. As scary as it is to give up and let go and be honest with yourself and others, people do respect it. I think we'd save a lot of time each day if we could just be straight with another.


Vulnerability

I am sitting in my chair
and for once I feel
so free
so free I could laugh
so free I can cry
so free I don't care what you think
about me because I am
so free at last

If you want to check out the video I've been talking about in this post the link is
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/team-nchick/nostalgia-chick/31957-tlc-and-the-90s

1 comment:

  1. Hey

    This post is incredibly insightful. I watched the video and I was touched by the honesty in her words. To be vulnerable is a terrifying concept, and for most people, it is easier to rest safe behind whatever shield they've chosen to mask themselves. But what stood out to me even more so is your poem, and the freedom that it talks about. Not many people experience the freedom that comes from being vulnerable, the terror that precedes it is always a deterrant but in the moments that you allow yourself to be truly vulnerable and honest, you permit yourself a freedom that can scare some people. The way I think of it, vulnerability is something people avoid because it requires that you let people see you for who you really are, and some people just haven't worked that out yet. Hopefully one day though, being vulnerable will be the norm, rather than hiding. Like you said, it'd definitely save us all alot of time.

    Great post, it really makes you think about the important stuff :)

    ReplyDelete