Once again thank you for coming! And I hope you enjoy this momentary distraction please leave your comments or thoughts. They are most welcome!

Thursday 28 July 2011

Pictionary for the Enlightened

I have a confession to make. As much as I enjoy my poeting, I am also an avid fantasy writer. Although the two modes are completely different in a sense. Poetry has always functioned as an interesting outlet. There's images it can capture in ways that are beyond comprehension.

I'm in a dark place at the moment and I have felt a lot of really black images speaking to me. There is something liberating about embracing the darkness. There's a lot to be harvested within it. But while I'm talking about images. I'll give a shout out to Lee, he's another fellow blogger, but something he does which is cool. Is he likes to use images to accompany his poems.

http://actorpoetplaywright.blogspot.com/2011/07/cul-de-sac-part-1.html

Writing tonight, I think I can really appreciate images. And I'm thinking of them in the grandest sense. I suppose I'll reveal a little of my thinking process before this becomes too vague sounding.

For me every word has a certain picture attached to it. Words like "Evanescent" for example, those sorts of words. To me I think immediatly of sniffing something and of heat and of bright light, but an autumn light that is pure yet obscured as if by floating autumn leaves. I think the key to a lot of good poetry is this ability to see pictures in words.

The latest poems I have written have all come from this very intuitive process. Anyway, that's my view. But before I go, how about a very different word and one I was going to use as a title, but after a few really scrappy efforts I gave up. I suppose I couldn't manage four, but many great things come in three's as we all know.

It's a word I've always liked. "Melancholy", now what's that word look like? Haha, I just imagined how difficult pictionary would be if people were forced to draw Melancholy or Evanescent. It might be a fun idea at a party though...would we all surprise each other and guess the word? Maybe. But what is Melancholy, is it snow? Is it water. Melancholy is lonely. It is a tree, a weak one. Not on a particularly rainy or miserable day, no melancholy is a ghost. Melancholy is invisible. But above all blue. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is etheral, but I think it is definately a blue ghost. It is male as well. Or perhaps it is simply a man standing far in the distance and he is cold and pale, he is like the weak tree in the distance. Haha...maybe not. I think I still enjoy the idea of a ghost. It seems to embody that word more exactly.

Anyway friends! This is a new thrilling game any old person can play! Pictionary, but with a twist. Now draw Gargantuan! (Yeah...we love that word, but alas how little we can possible use it).

No comments:

Post a Comment